|Article title||ESTIMATION OF WEIGHED PARTICLES’ CONCENTRATION USING ACOUSTIC BACK DISPERSION OF AN ADCP-PROBE|
|Authors||A.I. Sukhinov, A.A. Сherchago|
|Section||SECTION I. MATHEMATICAL MODELING OF AERO- AND HYDRODYNAMICS|
|Month, Year||08, 2009 @en|
|Abstract||This study presented simultaneously collected acoustic Doppler current profiler (ADCP, RDI Workhorse, 600kHz) and suspended sediment concentration data, obtained with an optical backscatter sensor (SBE 19 Plus). These data are utilized to calibrate a simplified version of the sonar equation that converts the recorded by the ADCP echo intensity into SSC (Suspended Sediment Concentration).|
|Keywords||ADCP; Accoustic Doppler current profiler; Suspended sediment concentration (SSC); echo intensity.|
|References||1. Agrawal, Y.C., and Pottsmith, H.C. 2000. Instruments for particle size and settling velocity observations in sediment transport. Marine Geology, 168: 89-114.
2. Deines, K.L. 1999. Backscatter estimation using broadband acoustic Doppler current profilers. Proceedings IEEE 6th Working Conference on Current Measurements, 249-253.
3. Folk, R.L. 1954. The distinction between grain size and mineral composition in sedimentary-rock nomenclature. Journal of Geology, 62: 344-359.
4. Gartner J.W. 2002. Estimation of suspended solids concentrations based on acoustic backscatter intensity: theoretical background. Turbidity and other sediment surrogates workshop.
5. Gartner J.W. and Cheng, R.T. 2001. The promises and pitfalls of estimating total suspended solids based on backscatter intensity from acoustic Doppler current profilers. Proceedings 7th Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference, III-119-III-126.
6. Holdaway, G.P., Thorne, P.D., Flatt, D., Jones, S.E., and Prandle, D. 1999. Comparison between ADCP and transmissometer measurements of suspended sediment concentration. Continental Shelf Research, 19: 421-441.
7. Poerbandono and Mayerle, R. 2002. Preliminary result on the estimation of suspended sediment concentration from acoustical profilers. Proceedings ADCP-Anwender Workshop, 12-15.
8. Rehman, S.S. 1990. The Development of High Frequency Acoustics for the Measurement of Suspended Sediment. Ph.D. thesis, University of East Anglia, – 235 pp.
9. Thorne, P.D., Vincent, C.E., Harcastle, P.J., Rehman, S., and Pearson, N. 1991. Measuring suspended sediment concentrations using acoustic backscatter devices. Marine Geology, 98:7-16.
10. Thorne, P.D., Hardcastle, P.J., and Soulsby, R.L. 1993. Analysis of acoustic measurements of suspended sediments. Journal of Geophysical Research, 98: 899-910.
11. Urick, R.J. 1983. Principles of Underwater Sound. 3rd Edition. McGraw-Hill, Inc., – 423 pp.