|Article title||FABRICATION FIELD EMISSION NANOELECTRONICS DEVICES BASED ON GRAPHENE FILMS ON SILICON CARBIDE USING FOCUSED ION BEAM|
|Authors||A.M. Svetlichnyi, A.S. Kolomiytsev, I.L. Jityaev, O.B. Spiridonov|
|Section||SECTION I. NANOELECTRONICS|
|Month, Year||09, 2015 @en|
|Abstract||The work is dedicated to the making of nanosized field emission structures by focused ion beam (FIB). It is shown that the FIB method provides the formation of the planar and tip probes with the different kinds of shapes and sizes. Silicon carbide and graphene on silicon carbide used as materials of field emission cathodes. Graphene is fabricated by decomposition of silicon carbide in vacuum. The spike form and planar type of field emission cathodes are considered in the article. Modes of formation of nanoscale field-emission cathodes by FIB are investigated. Designs of cathodes were developed and field-emission cathodes with a radius of rounding of the top less than 100 nm are made. Spike type of field emission cathodes was made of silicon carbide, followed by the formation of graphene films on the surface. Etching of field emission cathodes in the form of of a spike was made in a two-stage operation. In the first stage etching was performed at an ion beam current – 3 nA. In the second stage finishing of a spike was made by precision ion etching with a minimum value of the current of the ion beam, which allowed us to obtain a spike structure with a radius of rounding ~ 25-30 nm. Planar type of field emission cathodes was formed from the films of graphene on silicon carbide. It was established that in order to minimize the influence of the lateral etching topological pattern on the result of the etching, it is necessary to take into account the shape of the ion beam, described by a Gaussian distribution. The images of the field emission cathodes was obtained using scanning electron (SEM) and scanning probe microscopy (SPM). The technique of the field emission cathodes parameters research based on the use of SPM was developed. The regularities of the influence of etching conditions on the geometric parameters of field emission nanostructures were determined.|
|Keywords||Field emission; focused ion beam; graphene; silicon carbide; cold cathode; nanotechnology.|
|References||1. Le Febre A.J., Abelmann L., Lodder J.C. Field emission at nanometer distances for high-resolution positioning, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology, 2008, Vol. 26, pp. 724-729.
2. Fursey G.N., Petrick V.I., Novikov D.V. Low-threshold field electron emission from carbon nanoclusters formed upon cold destruction of graphite, Technical Physics, 2009, Vol. 54, No. 7, pp. 1048-1051.
3. Vartapetov S. Il'ichev E., Nabiev R. i dr. Emissionnaya elektronika na osnove nano- (mikro-) strukturirovannykh uglerodnykh materialov [Emission electronics based on nano- (micro-) structured carbon materials], Nanoindustriya [Nanoindustry], 2009, No. 4, pp. 12-18.
4. Kaushik V., Shukla A.K., Vankar V.D. Improved electron field emission from metal grafted graphene composites, Carbon, 2013, Vol. 62, pp. 337-345.
5. Konakova R.V, Okhrimenko O.B., Svetlichnyi A.M. et al. Characterization of the field-emission cathodes based on the graphene films on SiC, Semiconductors, 2015, Vol. 49, Issue 9, pp. 1242-1245.
6. Okhrimenko O.B. Konakova R.V. Svetlichnyy A.M i dr. Otsenka avtoemissionnykh svoystv nanostruktur na osnove karbida kremniya i grafena [Evaluation of field emission properties of nanostructures based on silicon carbide and graphene], Nanosistemy, nanomaterialy,
nanotekhnologii [Nanosistemi, Nanomateriali, Nanotehnologii], 2012, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 335-342.
7. Hibino H., Kageshima H. and Nagase M. Graphene Growth on Silicon Carbide, NTT Technical Review, 2010, Vol. 8, No. 8, pp. 1-6.
8. Konakova R.V., Svetlichnyy A.M., Volkov E.Yu. i dr. Sravnitel'nye kharakteristiki spektrov kombinatsionnogo rasseyaniya sveta plenok grafena na provodyashchikh i poluizoliruyushchikh podlozhkakh 6H-SiC [Comparative characteristics of the spectra of Raman scattering of graphene films on conductive and politology substrates 6H-SiC], Fizika i tekhnika poluprovodnikov [Fizika i Tekhnika Poluprovodnikov], 2013, Vol. 47, Issue 6, pp. 802-804.
9. Ageev O.A., Kolomiytsev A.S., Konoplev B.G. Formation of nanosize structures on a silicon sub-strate by method of focused ion beams, Semiconductors, 2011, Vol. 45, Issue 13, pp. 1709-1712.
10. Ageev O.A., Vnukova A.V., Gromov A.L., et al. Analysis of modes of nanoscale profiling during ion-stimulated deposition of W and PT using the method of focused ion beams, Nanotechnologies in Russia, 2014, Vol. 9, No. 3-4, pp. 145-150.
11. Ageev O.A., Alekseev A.M., Vnukova A.V. i dr. Issledovanie razreshayushchey sposobnosti nanorazmernogo profilirovaniya metodom fokusirovannykh ionnykh puchkov [Study resolution of nanosized profiling using focused ion beams], Rossiyskie nanotekhnologii [Nanotechnologies in Russia], 2014, Vol. 9, No. 1-2, pp. 40-43.
12. Ageev O.A., Kolomiytsev A.S., Gromov A.L., Il'in O.I. Issledovanie rezhimov submikronnogo profilirovaniya poverkhnosti podlozhek kremniya metodom fokusirovannykh ionnykh puchkov [Investigation of the silicon substrate surface profiling using focused ion beams in submicron area], Izvestiya YuFU. Tekhnicheskie nauki [Izvestiya SFedU. Engineering Sciences], 2011, No. 4 (117), pp. 171-180.
13. Alekseev A.N., Sokolov I.A., Ageev O.A. i dr. Kompleksnyy podkhod k tekhnologicheskomu osnashcheniyu tsentra prikladnykh razrabotok. Opyt realizatsii v NOTs «Nanotekhnologii» YuFU [Comprehensive approach to technological equipping for R&D CENTER. The experience in implementing of SEC «NANOTECHNOLOGY» SFedU], Izvestiya YuFU.
Tekhnicheskie nauki [Izvestiya SFedU. Engineering Sciences], 2011, No. 4 (117), pp. 207-210.
14. Pearton S.J., Chen J.J., Lim W.T. et al. Wet Chemical Etching of Wide Band gap Semiconductors-GaN, ZnO and SiC, ECS Transactions, 2007, Vol. 6, Issue 2, pp. 501-512.
15. Svetlichnyi A.M., Ageev O.A., Volkov E.Yv. et al. Modelling of the influence of a pointed field emission cathode design from the silicon carbide with graphene film on the electric field strength, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2015, Vol. 752-753, pp. 163-167.
16. Lee S.W. Lee S.S. Yang E.-H. A Study on Field Emission Characteristics of Planar Graphene Layers Obtained from a Highly Oriented Pyrolyzed Graphite Block, Nanoscale Res Lett., 2009, Vol. 4 (10), pp. 1218-1221.
17. Konoplev B.G., Ageev O.A., Smirnov V.A., Kolomiytsev A.S., Serbu N.I. Modifikatsiya zondov dlya skaniruyushchey zondovoy mikroskopii metodom fokusirovannykh ionnykh puchkov [Modification of probes for scanning probe microscopy using focused ion beams], Mikroelektronika [Russian Microelectronics], 2012, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 47-56.
18. Ageev O.A., Kolomiytsev A.S., Bykov A.V., Smirnov V.A., I.N. Kots Fabrication of advanced probes for atomic force microscopy using focused ion beam, Microelectronics Reliability, 2015, No. 55, pp. 2131-2134.
19. Ageev O.A., Il'in O.I., Kolomiytsev A.S., Konoplev B.G., Smirnov V.A. Modifikatsiya zondovykh datchikov-kantileverov dlya atomno-silovoy mikroskopii metodom fokusirovannykh ionnykh puchkov [Modification of the probe-cantilever for atomic force microscopy using focused ion beams], Nano- i mikrosistemnaya tekhnika [Nano and Microsystem Technique], 2011, No. 4, pp. 4-8.
20. Bykov A.V., Kolomiytsev A.S., Polyakova V.V., Smirnov V.A. Profilirovanie zondov dlya skaniruyushchey zondovoy nanodiagnostiki metodom fokusirovannykh ionnykh puchkov [Profiling of the tips for scanning probe nanodiagnostics using focused ion beams], Izvestiya YuFU.
Tekhnicheskie nauki [Izvestiya SFedU. Engineering Sciences], 2014, No. 9 (158), pp. 133-140.