|Article title||MODELING OF THE ASCENT OF WATER IN CAPILLARY MULTILEVEL SYSTEM WITH VARIABLE PARAMETERS|
|Authors||I.A. Kipnis, Yu.M. Vernigorov|
|Section||SECTION III. MANAGEMENT PROCESSES, AUTOMATION AND MATHEMATICAL MODELING|
|Month, Year||12, 2015 @en|
|Abstract||In the literature there is no consensus about the nature of the forces ensuring the rise and distribution of water in the xylem of plants. In some works it is shown that, based on the capillary model, the rise of water in the xylem occurs by surface tension in the meniscus of the capillary xylem and the line connecting the water menisci in the capillaries, forms a shape corresponding to the shape of the crown of a tree or leaf. The diameter of the branches of trees is usually less than the diameter of the trunk. Also relate to and water conveyance structures contained in the trunks and branches. But so far in the literature not addressed the issue of the patterns of promotion, and distribution of water in capillary branching systems with different ratio of parameters of branches of different levels. The paper considers a model with capillaries of different radius. The calculated promotion of the water in the capillaries, the radii of which decrease with increasing level number and promotion of water determined under the condition that the angles of inclination of the capillaries in different levels are different, and the distance between the location of the capillaries is not constant. Described capillary model allows to study the distribution of water for different capillary diameters, the distances between the levels, and tilt angles of the capillaries to the horizontal. It is shown that the promotion of water in the sloping branches depends on the parameters of the capillary system, the distribution of water in the capillaries of xylem plants in all their diversity can be described and studied using a constructed model of multilevel system of capillaries with variable parameters, based on the fact that the rise of water in the xylem occurs by surface tension in the meniscus of the capillary. It is shown that the rise of water in a vertical capillary depends on the number of branches and the ratio of their parameters and always greater than in a single vertical capillary of the same radius. It is established that the height of rise of water in inclined capillary branches depends on the ratio of system parameters, except for the angle of inclination, and is always less than in a single vertical capillary of equal radius.|
|Keywords||Plant; capillaries; xylem; model; transpiration.|
|References||1. Pfautsch S., Renard J., Tjoelker M.G., Salih A. Phloem as Capacitors: Radial Transfer of water into xylem of Trees Stems Occurs Via Simplastic Transport in Ray Parenchima, Plant Phisiology, March 2015, Vol. 167, No. 3, pp. 963-971.
2. Scholz F.G., Phyllips N.G., Bucci S.J., Meinzer F.C., Goldstein G. Hydraulic capacitance: Biophysics and Functional Significance Internal Water Sources in Relation to Tree Size, Tee Physiology, 2001, Vol. 4, pp. 341-361.
3. Harvay B.R. The theory of rise of sap in trees: Some historical and conceptual remarks, Physicsin Perspective, 2013, Vol. 15, pp. 320 -358.
4. Vernigorov Yu.M. Kipnis I.A. Matematicheskoe modelirovanie raspredeleniya zhidkosti v vetvyashchikhsya kapillyarnykh sistemakh [Mathematical modeling of fluid distribution in branching capillary systems], Vestnik DGTU [Bulletin of the Don State Technical University], 2010, Vol. 10, No. 8 (51), pp. 1195-1206.
5. Kipnis I.A., Vernigorov Yu.M. Kapillyarnaya model' gabitusa rasteniy [Capillary model habitus of plants], Izvestiya YuFU. Tekhnicheskie nauki [Izvestiya SFedU. Engineering Sciences], 2013, No. 9 (146), pp. 250-255.
6. Kipnis I.A., Vernigorov Yu.M. Prodvizhenie vody v sisteme nesimmetrichnykh lineynykh kapillyarov [Promotion of water in the system unbalanced line capillaries], Vestnik DGTU [Bulletin of the Don State Technical University], 2013, No. 3–4 (72–73), pp. 54-63.
7. Smith D.M., Allen S.J. Mtasurment of sap flow in plant stems, Jornal of Experimental Botany, 1996, Vol. 47, No. 305, pp. 1833-1844.
8. Nicolova P.S., Blaschke R. Matyssek H. Pretzsch T. Seifert, Eur. J. Combined application of computer tomography and light microscopy for analysis of condition xylem area IN COARSE ROOT OF European beech and Norway spruce, HForest R$es, 2009, Vol. 128, pp. 145-153.
9. Zhirenko N.G. Izuchenie sokodvizheniya v stvole duba chereshchatogo termoelektricheskim metodom [The study of SAP flow in the trunk of English oak thermoelectric method], Lesovedenie [Dendrology], 1994, No. 6, pp. 46-52.
10. Zhirenko N.G. Fizicheskie osnovy transporta vody v drevesnykh rasteniyakh [The physical basis of water transport in woody plants], Materialy V mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii [roceedings of the V international scientific-practical conference under], Ed. by S.E. Zyuzina. Borisoglebsk: GOU VPO «Borisoglebskiy GPI», 2010, pp. 169-173.
11. Zhirenko N.G. Otsenka nekotorykh parametrov vodoprovodyashchey sistemy duba chereshchatogo [Evaluation of some parameters of the water-conducting system of oak-trees], Issledovaniya estestvennykh ekosistem Prikhoper'ya i sopredel'nykh territoriy (flora, fauna, ekologiya, fiziologiya) [Studies of natural ecosystems of the territory Prekhoperia and adjacent
territories (flora, fauna, ecology, physiology)]. Issue 6. Borisoglebsk, 2010, pp. 34-36.
12. Borghetty M. Grace J., Raschi A. Water transport in plant under climatic stress. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1993, 300 р.
13. Lee S-J., Kim Y. In vivo visualization of the water – refilling process un xylem vessels using X-ray micro –imaging, Oxford university press, Annals of Botany, 2008, Vol. 101, pp. 595-602.
14. Zeiger T, Lond E. Plant Physiology. 3rd ed. Sinauer Associated, Inc. Sunderland, MA, 2002, 690 p.
15. Scholz F.G., Phyllips N.G., Bucci S.J., Meinzer F.C., Goldstein G. Hydraulic capacitance: Biophysics and Functional Significance od Internal Water Sources in Relation to Tree Size, Tee Physiology, 2001, Vol. 4, pp. 341-361.
16. Kramer P.D., Kozlovskiy T.T. Fiziologiya drevesnykh rasteniy [Physiology of woody plants]: Tnrans. angl. Moscow: Lesnaya promyshlennost', 1983, 464 p.
17. Timonin A.K. Botanika [Botany]: in 4 vol. Vol. 3. [Vysshie rasteniya: uchebnik dlya studentov vuzov [Higher Plants: A textbook for students]. Moscow: Izdatel'skiy tsentr «Akademiya», 2007, 352 p.
18. Zitte P., Vayler E.V., Kaderayt Y.V., Brezinski A., Kerner K. Botanika: uchebnik dlya vuzov: v 4 t. T. 2.: na osnove uchebnika E. Strasburgera [i dr.].: per. s nem. Fiziologiya rasteniy [Botany. Textbook for high schools: in 4 vol.: based on the textbook E. Strasburger [et al.], Trans. with German. Vol. 2 of Plant Physiology], Ed. by V.V. Chuba. Moscow: Izdatel'skiy tsentr «Akademiya», 2008, 496 p.
19. Kipnis I.A., Vernigorov Yu.M. Mekhanizm prodvizheniya vody v kapillyarakh ksilemy rasteniy [Mechanism of promotion of water in the xylem capillaries plants], Vestnik DGTU [Bulletin of the Don State Technical University], 2014, Vol. 14, No. 3 (78), pp. 78-88.
20. Kipnis I.A., Vernigorov Yu.M. Pod"em vody v ksileme rasteniy s trakheidal'noy provodimost'yu [The rise of water in the xylem of plants with tracheidal conductivity], Vestnik DGTU [Bulletin of the Don State Technical University], 2015, Vol. 2, No. 81, pp. 131-145.