|Article title||SLOW-FLYING UAV WITH ELLIPTICAL WING. CONTROL FEATURES|
|Authors||S.A. Sinutin, A.A. Gorbunov, E.B. Gorbunova|
|Section||SECTION I. UNMANNED AERIAL SYSTEMS|
|Month, Year||01, 2016 @en|
|Abstract||The article describes special features of elliptical wing unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) control. This kind of UAV occupies a niche between traditional airplane configuration and multicopter type of UAV. The elliptical wing UAVs achieve better energy efficiency compared to multicopters and lets to obtain lower minimal airspeed in comparison with traditional airplane configuration. At the same time the specificities of controlling actions and disturbance torques generating lead to the necessity of adaptive amount of controls changing depending on flying speed and actual angle of attack of the UAV. Analytical research method and SFD-modelling are too complicated and do not provide results of the satisfactory accuracy to a mathematical model and laws of control forming. As a suitable resolve we suggested to apply the black box method. In order to investigate the control laws and to construct the mathematical model of the scrutinizing aerial vehicle using the black box method a bank of scaled-down flying models with variety of configurations were produced and tested. We also developed the two versions of a special airborne recorder, containing a microcontroller, sensors and a SD-card for the flight test data saving. To interpret and process collected data we use specially developed Matlab script, which also lets to evaluate the interrelation between the controlling action and UAV"s attitude changing. The paper presents examples of data obtained from the sensors; the results of data filtering to decrease noise term of accelerometer signal. Based on accelerometer and angular rate sensor data in conjunction with a complementary filter the determination of the aircraft angular position relative to the control actions is demonstrated. Verification of data interpretation was carried out by using time synchronization of appropriate data plots and the UAV flight video. Distinguishing characteristics of the researching UAV control are outlined.|
|Keywords||Unmanned aircraft vehicle (UAV); elliptic wing; energy efficiency; the black box method; control system; flight tests.|
|References||1. Zinchenko O.N. Bespilotnyy letatel'nyy apparat: Primenenie v tselyakh
aerofotos"emki dlya kartografirovaniya [Unmaned aircraft vehicle. Usage for the goals of air-photography and mapping], «Rakurs» [Perspective], Moscow, 2011.
2. Trupkin V.V., Solyanik P.N. Aerodinamicheskaya komponovka perspektivnogo letatel'nogo apparata s krylom malogo udlineniya [Aerodynamic configuration of the aircraft from the perspective of small aspect ratio wing], Aviatsionno-kosmicheskaya tekhnika i tekhnologiya [Aerospace Engineering and Technology], 2004, Issue 3 (11), pp. 65-68.
3. Recktenwald B., Crouse Gilbert L., Anwar A. Experimental Investigation of a Circular-Planform Concept, Journal of Aircraft, 2010, Vol. 47, No. 3.
4. Jongerius S.R., Lentin D. Structural Analysis of a Dragonfly Wing, Experimental Mechanics, November 2010, Vol. 50, Issue 9, pp. 1323-1334.
5. Shkarayev, S., Silin, B., Abate, G., and Albertani, R., Aerodynamics of Cambered Membrane Flapping Wings, 47th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA Paper 2010-0058, Orlando, FL, 4–7 Jan. 2010.
6. Chattot J.J., Hafez M.M., Glider and Airplane Design, Chapter Theoretical and Applied Aerodynamics, April 2015, pp. 373-397.
7. Dunn T. Designing a New Breed of Flying Disc. Available at: http://www.tested.com/tech/robots/460940-designing-new-breed-flying-disc/ (Accessed 02 April 2014).
8. Grishanov V.V., Malinin A.V., Tarasenko M.M. Issledovanie aerodinamicheskikh kharakteristik vintokol'tsevykh (ventilyatornykh) BPLA VVP s ispol'zovaniem chislennogo modelirovaniya v programmnom komplekse FLOWVISION [The study of aerodynamic characteristics of the screw ring (fan) UAV with GDP numerical simulation software package
FLOWVISION]. Available at: http://tesis.com.ru/infocenter/downloads/flowvision/fv_es15_3.pdf. (Accessed 07 October 2015).
9. Kalashnikov S.V., Krivoshchapov A.A, Mitin A.L., Nikolaev N.V. Raschetnye issledovaniya aerodinamicheskikh kharakteristik tematicheskoy modeli LA skhemy «Letayushchee krylo» s pomoshch'yu programmnogo kompleksa FLOWVISION [Estimated study of aerodynamic characteristics of mathematical model and the scheme of "flying wing" with the help of soft-
ware package FLOWVISION]. Available at: http://tesis.com.ru/infocenter/downloads/flowvision/fv_es15_13.pdf. (Accessed 07 October 2015).
10. Gorbunov A.A., Gorbunova E.B. Razrabotka sistemy upravleniya bespilotnym letatel'nym apparatom s ellipticheskim krylom krylom [Development of a control system unmanned aircraft with an elliptical wing], Sbornik nauchnykh statey Vserossiyskoy nauchnoy konferentsii molodykh uchenykh, aspirantov i studentov «Sistemotekhnika-2015» [Collection of scientific articles of the Scientific Conference of young scientists and students "Systems Engineering-2015"]. Taganrog: Izd-vo YuFU, 2015, pp. 48-54.
11. Gorbunov A.A., Gorbunova E.B. Poluchenie matematicheskoy modeli BPLA s ellipsovidnym krylom metodom chernogo yashchika [Obtaining a mathematical model of UAV with elliptical wing by Black Box], Materialy Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii molodykh uchenykh stran BRIKS [[Proceedings of the International scientific-practical conference of young scientists of the BRICS]. Rostov-on-Don: Izd-vo YuFU, 2015, pp. 60-64.
12. Gorbunov A.A., Sinyutin S.A. Matematicheskaya model' bespilotnogo letatel'nogo apparata s ellipsnym krylom [A mathematical model of an unmanned aerial vehicle with elliptical wing], Inzhenernyy vestnik Dona [Engineering journal of Don], 2015, No. 1, Part 2.
13. LIS302DL MEMS motion sensor 3-axis - ± 2g/± 8g smart digital output “piccolo” accelerometer. Available at: http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00135460.pdf (Accessed 20 April 2015).
14. L3G4200D MEMS motion sensor: three-axis digital output gyroscope. Available at: http://lib.chipdip.ru/093/DOC001093044.pdf (Accessed 15 May 2015).
15. Podklyuchenie SD karty k mikrokontrolleru [Connect the SD card to the microcontroller]. Available at: http://microtechnics.ru/podklyuchenie-sd-karty-k-mikrokontrolleru (Accessed 20 July 2015).
16. SD-karta i faylovaya sistema FAT [SD-card and the FAT file system]. Available at: http://microtechnics.ru/sd-karta-i-fajlovaya-sistema-fat (Accessed 28 July 2015).
17. STM32Cube. Nastroyka i ispol'zovanie FatFS [STM32Cube. Setting up and using FatFS]. Available at: http://microtechnics.ru/stm32cube-nastrojka-i-ispolzovanie-fatfs (Accessed 28 July 2015).
18. STM32F3 and STM32F4 Series Cortex-M4 programming manual. Available at: http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/programming_ manual/DM00046982.pdf (Accessed 7 June 2015).
19. Gabriel Hugh Elkaim, Fidelis Adhika Pradipta Lie, Demoz Gebre-Egziabher. Principles of Guidance, Navigation and Control of UAVs. Available at: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.294.7295&rank=1 (Accessed 02 March 2015).
20. Pralio B, Lorefice L A Stochastic Approach to MiniUAVs Control Design // WSEAS Int. Conf. on DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS and CONTROL, Venice, Italy, November 2-4, 2005, pp. 338-344.