|Article title||A NEW APPROACH TO THE MASS SPECTROMETRIC INVESTIGATION OF THE QUALITY OF MATERIALS USED IN MICROELECTRONICS|
|Authors||I.L. Fedichkin, E.O. Popov, R.V. Tukaltsev, P.A. Romanov, S.V. Filippov, A.G. Kolosko|
|Section||SECTION I. ELECTRONICS|
|Month, Year||04, 2016 @en|
|Abstract||In the recent work, the realization of the new method using upgraded mass spectrometric complex MKM-1 designed for testing the reliability of the rejection process of products of microelectronics industry was proposed. The internal structure and operation of the complex are described. A number of innovative technical solutions has significantly expanded capabilities conducted on it researches. A new ion source with controlled energy of ionization (10 to 150 eV), which facilitates the identification of volatiles products in the measuring chamber by suppressing fragmentation peaks in the mass spectrum was developed. It is proved that the use of such a source in conjunction with a dual-chamber design of the system increases the accuracy of measurements compared to conventional spot measurement. The automatic system for opening the IC protective package allowing research of IC with different package space volume was created. The system with controlled heating of IC to determine the moisture content and concentration of active radicals dependence from the temperature inside the products in a wide range: from 20°C to 800°C was integrated in MKM-1. Using the modernized complex MKM-1 measurements were made to address a number of important applications: the products of a number of companies in microelectronics and aerospace industries, made with different processes, were analyzed, assess the quality of raw materials and optimized the conditions necessary for the encapsulation of chips was carried out. In particular, it was determined the composition of gases and vapors in under package space of a few types of chips produced by "Svetlana - Semiconductors" company. It was revealed that the chip array packages without heat treatment and vacuum drying results in an increased moisture content in the empty packages. Also, outgassing studies with the adhesive sample TPK-2, developed by the Ltd "Composite" have been conducted at temperatures of 150°C and 270°C. The data comparing the properties of domestic adhesive TPK-2 and several adhesives, produced by foreign manufacturers. For Ltd "Corporation Cometa" high-molecular substances, form the basis of contamination of surfaces electro-optical devices were defined and were identified.|
|Keywords||Mass spectrometer; measurements of the water vapor content; space technologies; package space of ICs.|
|References||1. Belous A.I., Solodukha V.A., Shvedov S.V. Kosmicheskaya elektronika [Space electronics]. Moscow Tekhnosfera, 2015, 696 p.
2. Orlov V.I., Fedosov V.V. O printsipe ravnoprochnoy (ravnonadezhnoy) komplektatsii elektronnoy komponentnoy bazoy apparatury kosmicheskikh apparatov [The principle of equistrength (ranolazine) complete set of electronic component base equipment of spacecrafts], Trudy 13-y Rossiyskoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii «Sertifikatsiya EKB-2014» [Proceedings of 13-th Russian scientific and technical conference "Certification of ECB-2014"], 2014, No. 38, pp. 3.
3. Lowry R.K., Kullberg R.C., Rossiter D.J. Harsh environments and volatiles in sealed enclosures, Surface Mount Technology Association International Technical Conference, 2010, pp. 380-386.
4. Solodukha V.A., Turtsevich A.S., Rubtsevich I.I., Solov'ev Ya.A., Kerentsev A.F., Dovzhenko A.A., Samtsov E.P. Rentgenovskiy kontrol' izdeliy elektronnoy tekhniki na stadii otbrakovochnykh ispytaniy [X-ray inspection of electronic devices at the stage of screening tests], Trudy XIV MNPK «Sovremennye informatsionnye i elektronnye tekhnologii» [Proceedings of XIV international scientific-practical conference "Modern information and electronic
technologies"], 2013, Vol. 2, pp. 8-11.
5. Perkins K.L., Licari J.J., Buckelew R.L. NBS/RADC workshop moisture measurement technology for hermetic semiconductor devices, Proc. ISHM Symposium, 1978, pp. 235-236.
6. Lee S.M., Licari J.J., Valles A. Properties of plastic materials and how they relate to device failure mechanisms, Physics of Failure in Electronics, 1966, Vol. 4, pp. 464-492.
7. Young M.R.P., Peterman D.A. Reliability Engineering, Microelectronics and Reliability, 1968, Vol. 7, pp. 93-103.
8. Thomas R.W. Microcircuit Package Gas Analysis Techniques, Government Microcircuits Digest Applications Conference, 1972, pp. 31-36.
9. Koelmans H. Metallization Corrosion in Silicon Devices by Moisture-Induced Electrolysis, Twelfth Annual Proceedings Reliability Physic, 1974, pp. 168-171.
10. Paulson W., Kirk L.W. The Effects of Phosphorus-Doped Passivation Glass on the Corrosion of Aluminum, Twelfth Annual Proceedings Reliability Physics, 1974, pp. 172-179.
11. Comizzoli R.B. Aluminum corrosion in the presence of phosphosilicate glass and moisture, RCA Review, 1976, Vol. 37, pp. 483-490.
12. Greenhouse H., Lowry R., Romenesko B. Hermeticity of Electronic Packages. William Andrew, 2011, 360 p.
13. Graves J.F., Gurany W. Reliability effects of fluoride contamination of aluminum bonding pads on semiconductor chips, Solid State Technology, 1983, Vol. 10, pp. 227-232.
14. Fedichkin I.L., Tyukal'tsev R.V., Nikitina T.A. Mass-spektrometricheskiy metod opredeleniya kontsentratsii parov vody v podkorpusnom prostranstve [Mass-spectrometric method for the determination of the water vapor concentration in podkarpacka space], Trudy Pervoy Rossiysko-Belorusskoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii «Elementnaya baza otechestvennoy konferentsii» [Proceedings of the First Russian-Belarusian scientific-technical
conference "Element base of the national conference"], 2013, pp. 217-220.
15. Popov E.O., Kolosko A.G., Filippov S.V., Fedichkin I.L., Romanov P.A. Mass-spectrum investigation of the phenomena accompanying field electron emission, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology, 2015, B 33, pp. 03C109-1-03C109-15.
16. Popov E.O., Kolosko A.G., Filippov S.V., Romanov P.A., Fedichkin I.L. Comparison of the data about thin IVC structure of multi-tip field emitters using a high voltage scanning method in different power supply mode and the data of the mass spectrometer analysis, IEEE 28th International Vacuum Nanoelectronics Conference, 2015, pp. 18-19.
17. Karataev V.I., Aruev N.N. Ionnyy istochnik s magnitnym polem dlya vremyaproletnogo mass-spektrometra [Ion source with magnetic field for time-of-flight mass spectrometer], Pis'ma v Zhurnal tekhnicheskoy fiziki [Technical Physics Letters], 2011, No. 12 (37), pp. 67-72.
18. Ivanov M.A., Mamyrin B.A., Fedichkin I.L. Mass-spektrometr dlya gazovogo analiza. Patent SU 1690023 FTI name A.F. Ioffe. 07.11.1991. Bull. No. 41. 6 p.
19. Svidetel'stvo ob utverzhdenii tipa sredstv izmereniy [Certificate of type approval of measuring] RU.C.31.001.A № 50950. Analizatory vlazhnosti MKM-1 [The analysis of congestion humidity ΜKM-1], 2013, No. 554, 5 p.
20. Matveev V.A., Basarab M.A., Kreysberg V.A., Lunin B.S., Zakharyan R.A. Obespechenie vakuuma v priborakh s vnutrennimi kleevymi soedineniyami [The security vacuum in devices with internal adhesive joints], Vestnik MGTU im. N.E. Baumana [Herald of the Bauman Moscow State Technical University], 2014, No. 4, pp. 113-122.