|Article title||SCANNING WAVEGUIDE ARRAY WITH A DIELECTRIC COATING|
|Section||SECTION II. ELECTRODYNAMICS AND ANTENNA|
|Month, Year||05, 2016 @en|
|Abstract||The process of beam scanning in phased antenna arrays is investigating. The main difficulty in array designing procedure is the prediction of so called “blind scan angles”. At this angles the input voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) is increasing rapidly and the phased antenna array operation is violated. Several options of array structural improvements which allow to expand array scanning sector are described in known literature. The paper is devoted to the flat wave-guide array scanning characteristics to investigation. Numerical experiments of the ways of increasing scanning sector are considered. Computer model of the studied array is based on the infinite periodic lattice of rectangular waveguides with a dielectric cover, inlays in waveguides and metal ribs. The effect of thickness and dielectric parameters of a single and multi-layer covers as well as the sizes of the metal "ribs", which are the extension of the waveguide walls, are discussed. It is shown that to ensure the expansion of the sector scanning in the H- plane is much more difficult than in E-plane. To do this, it is advisable to use a multi-layer dielectric cover with optimally matched parameters of materials. Increasing the number of cover layers allows not only to expand the scan angle sector, but also to provide minimal SWR throughout a range of angles. Along with the use of dielectric plates it is investigated the use of metal ribs system representing a continuation of waveguide walls in the H-plane or in the E-plane. It is shown that the selection of edges heights can substantially improve the characteristics of the scanning grating.|
|Keywords||Phased antenna array; scanning; rectangular waveguide; dielectric cover; metal ribs; matching; scanning angles sector|
|References||1. Khansen R.S. Fazirovannye antennye reshetki. Ser. «Mir radioelektroniki» [Phased array systems. Series "World of electronics"]: translation from English R. J. A.I. Sinani. Moscow: Tekhnosfera, 2012, 560 p.
2. Mailloux R. J. Phased Array Antenna Handbook. Boston: Artech House, 1994.
3. Habashi A., Nourinia J., Ghobadi C. Mutual coupling reduction between very closely spaced patch antennas using low-profile folded split-ring resonators, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2011, Vol. 10, pp. 862-865.
4. Farsi, S., H. Aliakbarian, B. Nauwelaers, G. A. E. Vandenbosch. Mutual coupling reduction between planar antenna by using a simple microstrip U-section, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2012, Vol. 11, No. 9, pp. 1501-1503.
5. Sazonov D.M. Mnogoelementnye antennye sistemy. Matrichnyy podkhod [Multiple antenna system. The matrix approach]. Moscow: Radiotekhnika, 2015, 143 p.
6. Amitey N., Galindo V., Vu Ch. Teoriya i analiz fazirovannykh antennykh reshetok [Theory and analysis of phased array]. Moscow: Mir, 1974, 458 p.
7. Voskresenskiy D.I., Stepanenko V.I., Filippov V.S. i dr. Ustroystva SVCh i antenny. Proektirovanie fazirovannykh antennykh reshetok. Uchebnoe posobie dlya vuzov [Microwave device and antenna. Design of phased antenna arrays. Textbook for high schools / under the edi-torship D. I. Voskresensky], ed by. D.I. Voskresenskogo. Moscow: Radiotekhnika, 2003, 632 p.
8. Kasyanov A.O., Obukhovets V.A. Blindness Angles in Microstrip Phased Arrays Patterns, 2000 International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Electromagnetic Theory (MMET 2000). Conference Proc. Kharkov, Ukrain, Sept. 12-15. 2000, pp. 280-282.
9. Obukhovets V.A., Kas'yanov A.O. Mikropoloskovye otrazhatel'nye antennye reshetki. Metody proektirovaniya i chislennoe modelirovanie [Reflective microstrip antenna arrays. Design methods and numerical modeling]. Moscow: Radiotekhnika, 2006, 240 p.
10. Bankov S.E., Guttsayt E.M., Kurushin A.A. Reshenie opticheskikh i SVCh zadach s pomoshch'yu HFSS [The solution of optical and microwave tasks using HFSS]. Moscow: Orkada, 2012, 240 p.
11. Ben A. Munk. Finite Antenna Arrays and FSS. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2003, 357 p.
12. Vendik O.G., Kozlov D.S. A Novel Method for the Mutual Coupling Calculation Between Antenna Array Radiators, IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, 2015, No. 12, pp. 16-21.
13. Ghosh, C. K., S.K. Parui. Elimination of scan blindness of microstrip array by using I-shaped λ/2 resonator, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 2014, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 334-337.
14. Manuilov M.B., Sinyavskiy G.P. Volnovodnye antennye reshetki s mnogosloynymi konechnymi dielektricheskimi pokrytiyami [Waveguide antenna arrays with multilayer dielec-tric coatings end], Elektromagnitnye volny i elektronnye sistemy [Electromagnetic Waves and Electronic Systems], 2010, No. 2, pp. 33-41.
15. Isaa M.S.M., Langleyb R.J., Khamasb S., Isaa A.A.M., Zina M.S.I.M., Zakariaa Z., Harona N.Z., Ahmadc A. A Technique of Scan Blindness Elimination for Planar Phased Array Antenna using Miniaturized EBG. 69:2 (2014) 11–15 ( www.jurnalteknologi.utm.my) eISSN 2180–3722.
16. Donzelli G., Capolino F., Boscolo S., Midrio M. Elimination of Scan Blindness in Phased Array Antennas Using a Grounded-Dielectric EBG Material, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2007, Vol. 6, pp. 106-108.
17. Nikolic, M. M., A. Djordjevic, A. Nehorai. Microstrip antennas with suppressed radiation in horizontal directions and reduced coupling, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2005, Vol. 53, No. 11, pp. 3469-3476.
18. Voskresenskiy D.I. i dr. Avtomatizirovannoe proektirovanie antenn i ustroystv SVCh [Computer-aided design of antennas and microwave devices]. Moscow: Radio i svyaz', 1988.
19. Eom AS.-Y., Park Н.-К., Jeon S.-J. Shaping of flat-topped element patterns in a planar array of circular waveguides using a multilayered disk structure. Part II: Experimental study and comparison, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 200, Vol. 51, No. 5, pp. 1048-1053.
20. McGill Е.G., Wheeler Н.A. Wide Angle Impedance Matching of a Planar Array Antenna by a Dielectric Sheet, IEEE Trans, on Antennas and Propagation, 1966, Vol. AP-14, No. 1, P.49-53.
21. Surkov V.I. Vliyanie soglasuyushchikh shtyrey na parametry vibratornykh FAR [The effect of the matching pins on the parameters of vibratory HEADLIGHTS], Trudy MEI [Proceedings of MEI]. Moscow: Izd-vo MEI, 1981, Issue 553, pp. 40-44.