|Article title||NEW DESIGN& LAYOUT SOLUTIONS ON AIMED AT THE INCREASE OF THE MOBILITY AND FUNCTIONAL CAPABILITIES OF THE PLANETARY ROVERS|
|Authors||M.I. Malenkov, A.N. Bogachev, V.A. Volov, N.K. Guseva, A,G. Konkolovich, D.N. Kuzmenko, V.M. Kurdzyuk, E.A. Lazarev, А.B. Fedorushkov, D.B. Fedorushkov|
|Section||SECTION I. GROUND ROBOTICS|
|Month, Year||01-02, 2017 @en|
|Abstract||The paper presents the major results of the execution of the applied scientific researches “The elaboration of the scientific-technical solutions in the area of the development of the robotic systems (RS) of the space designation to support the on-planet missions. The researches and developments in the priority directions of the development of the Russian scientific&technical complex for the period 2014-2020”. A special emphasis is placed on the improvements of the design&layout solutions implemented in the key systems of the new generation planet rovers, that determine the area and geomorphological properties of the territories that are accessible for the scientific researches and the efficiency of the supporting the human activities on the celestial body surfaces. The accessibility of the investigated surfaces of the Moon and Mars for the automatic and remote control modes is directly dependent on the characteristics of the locomotion and navigation systems. The on-board manipulating system also influences the functional capabilities of a robotic system. In order to compare the technical level of new design solutions, the US Mars rovers ”Opportunity” and “Curiosity”, which are currently in operation, are chosen. These rovers set very high performance marks for the operational lifetime and the quality and reliability of the on-board systems; they are the ones of the best specimens in the mobile robotics. However, in regard of the traversability, the performances of the Mars rovers are far from being optimal. There are also certain reserves to considerably increase the mobility, which generalized parameter is the time, spent to relocate a rover from one research region to another. The increase of the mobility is bound not only to traversability increase, but it also requires to equalize the capabilities of forward and backward locomotion regarding the quality of the navigation task solutions. It is necessary to conduct the continuous check of the covered route and wheel slippage coefficient, to use the contact methods to determine the soil strength along the locomotion path. The result of the applied scientific research is the development of the design and layout solutions made in a form of a 3D model of the Robotic System “Astronaut Assistant”. This development is based on Russian scientific and technical background.|
|Keywords||Locomotion system; navigation system; machine vision; manipulation system; wheel-walking propulsor; active suspension; walking mechanism; container; planetary rovers.|
|References||1. Malenkov M.I., Volov V.A., Guseva N.K., Lazarev E.A. Analiz podvizhnosti marsokhodov dlya razrabotki sistem peredvizheniya i algoritmov upravleniya planetokhodami novogo pokoleniya [Analysis of the mobility of the Mars rovers for the development of the locomotion systems and control algorithms of the planet rovers of new generation], Izvestiya YuFU. Tehnicheskie nauki [Izvestiya SFedU. Engineering Sciences], 2015, No. 1 (162), pp. 82-95.
2. Bogachev A., Kuzmenko D., Lazarev E. The Use of Walking Mechanisms as an Adaptive Sus-pension of a Planet Rover, Proceedings of the 26th DAAAM International Symposium, 2015, pp. 0989-0996.
3. *Anisov K.A., Mastakov V.I., Ivanov O.G. et al. Ustroystvo i rabota stantsii Luna 17 i Lunok-hoda-1 [Construction and operation of the station Luna 17 and Lunokhod-1]. In book: Pered-vizhnaya laboratoriya na Lune Lunokhod-1 [Mobile laboratory on the moon Lunokhod-1]. Vol. 1. Editor A.P. Vinogradov. Moscow: Nauka, 1971, pp. 7-20.
4. *Leonovich A.K., Gromov V.V., Ribakov A.V. et al. Issledovanie mehanicheskikh svoystv lun-nogo grunta na samokhodnom apparate Lunokhod-1 [Investigation of the mechanical properties of the Moon soil at the Lunokhod-1]. In book: Peredvizhnaya laboratoriya na Lune Lunokhod-1 [Mobile laboratory on the moon Lunokhod-1]. Vol. 1. Editor A.P. Vinogradov. Moscow: Nauka, 1971, pp. 77-88.
5. *Avotinsh E.V., Borodachev B.V., Isakov M.I. et al. Issledovanie rabotosposobnosti samok-hodnogo shassi na Lune [Research performance self-propelled chassis on the Moon]. In book: Peredvizhnaya laboratoriya na Lune Lunokhod-1 [Mobile laboratory on the moon Lunokhod-1]. Vol. 2. Editor Barsukov V.L. Moscow: Nauka, 1978, pp. 25-43.
6. Kemurdjian A.L., Gromov V.V., Chyerkasov I.I. Shvaryev V.V. Avtomaticheskie stantsii dlya izucheniya poverkhnostnogo pokrova Luni [Automatic stations for the Moon surface layer ex-ploration]. Modcow: Mashinostroenie, 1976, 199 p.
7. Kemurdjian A.L., Gromov V.V., Kazhakalo I.F. et al. Soviet Developments of Planet Rovers in Period of 1964 – 1990, Proc. of first International Simposium Planet rovers: Purpose, Tech-nology and Design. Toulouse, France. 28 – 30 September 1992.
8. Kemurdzhian A.L., Gromov V.V., Kazhukalo I.F. et al. Hodovie ispitaniya planetokhodov [Running tests of the planet rovers], Planetokhody [The planet rovers]. 2nd ed., Moscow: Ma-shinostroenie, 1993m pp. 294-331.
9. Winnendeal, V.I. Kucherenko, M.I. Malenkov et al. The Lunar Rover Mockup of ESTEC’S Planetary Utilization Testbed. M.W., Proc. of the 5th ESA Workshop on ASTRA’98. Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 1998.
10. Malenkov M.I., Stepanov V.V. Rossiyskie tekhnologii pri sozdanii sistem peredvizheniya pla-netokhodov [Russian technologies for the development of the locomotion systems of the planet rovers], Pyat'desyat let kosmicheskikh issledovaniy [Fifty years of space research]. Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2009, pp. 250-264.
11. Alexander Kemurdjian. From the Moon Rover to the Mars Rover, The Planetary Report, CA, Pasadena, 1990, Vol. X, No. 4, pp. 4 – 11.
12. Volov V., Koutcherenko V., Malenkov M. et al. Development of Autonomous Mars Rover within the framework of international INTAS-CNES project, Ргос. of the Int. Conf. “Space 02 and Robotics 02”, Albuquerque, USA, 17-21 March 2002, pp. 442-448. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/40625(203)53/.
13. Grotzinger J. P., Vasavada, A., and Russell C (eds.). Mars Science Laboratory Mission. Sprin-ger, London, 2013, 763 p.
14. MSL Curiosity Rover. Available at: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/ (accessed 20 January 2017).
15. Mars Exploration Rover. Available at: http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/status.html (accessed 20 January 2017).
16. Kazhukalo I.F., Mishkinyuk V.K. Kolyesno-shagayushshiy dvizhityel' [Wheel-walking propul-sor], Planetokhody [The planet rovers]. Editor Kemurdjian A.L. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1982, pp. 84-107.
17. Kazhukalo I.F. Kolyesno-shagayushshiy dvizhityel' kak sredstvo povysheniya prokhodimosti [Wheel-walking propulsor, as a means to improve cross], Peredvizhenie po gruntam Luny i planet [The movement of the soils of the Moon and planets]. Editor Kemurdjian A.L. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1986, pp. 141-185.
18. Malenkov M.I., Kazhukalo I.F., Kemurdjian A.L. Matematicheskoe modelirovanie i khodovye ispytaniya planetokhodov. [Mathematic Simulation and running Tests of the Planet Rovers], Peredvizhenie po gruntam Luni i planet [The movement of the soils of the Moon and planets]. Editor Kemurdjian A.L. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1986, pp. 186-261.
19. Malenkov M.I., Volov V.A., Guseva N.K., Lazarev E.A. Increasing the Mobility of Mars Rovers by Improving the Locomotion Systems and Their Control Algorithms, Russian Engineering Research, 2015, Vol. 35, No. 11, pp. 824-831.
20. Malenkov M.I., Volov V.A. Sravnitel'nyy analiz komponentov hodovoy chasti samokhodnykh shassi planetokhodov [Comparative analysis of the running gear components of the planet rover locomotion systems], Izvestiya YuFU, Tehnicheskie nauki [Izvestiya SFedU. Engineering Sciences], 2016, No. 1 (174), pp. 169-185.
21. Malenkov M.I., Volov V.A., Lazarev E.A. Quality of the Locomotion System in Planetary Rovers // Russian Engineering Research, 2016, Vol. 36, No. 10, pp. 800-808.
22. Fedorushkov А., Kuzmenko D., Lazarev E. Selection of Concept and Determination of the Main Parameters for Manipulator of Dual-Arm Manipulator System of Planetary Rover, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, November 2015, Vol. 10, No. 20.