|Article title||METHOD OF THUNDERSTORM WARNING USING VARIATIONS OF ELECTRIC FIELD AND DATA OF THUNDERSTORM SENSORS NETWORK|
|Authors||A. Kh. Adzhiev, A. S. Boldyreff, V. A. Kuzmin|
|Section||SECTION III. RADIO ENGINEERING AND COMMUNICATION|
|Month, Year||07, 2018 @en|
|Abstract||The method of thunderstorm warning alarms using data received from electric field mills network and data of lightning sensors network is presented. The method is capable to establish the criterion of danger to the prevention of risks and damages. The methodology of "two zones" has implemented for warnings of thunderstorms. The size and scale of the zones are selected depending on the efficiency of determining the coordinates of lightning, the accuracy of the localization of the electric field detection system and the target scale. The technology of warning "two zones" is based on the output of the meter of the electric field of the atmosphere and the lightning sensors. The features of the dynamics of changes in the values of the gradient potential of the electric field in the absence of clouds were established. It is shown that in the presence of ground lightning discharges over the zones, the dynamics of changes in the values of the gradient of the potential of the electric field of the atmosphere is significantly transformed. The obtained results showed a good relationship between the data of the lightning network and the measured values of the gradient of the potential of the electric field of the atmosphere, especially for lightning discharges of the cloud-earth type. It is shown that the registration at the earth"s surface of the potential gradient of the electric field of the atmosphere can be judged on the preparedness of the conditions in the cloud for the development of lightning discharges. In particular, if the fixed gradients do not exceed the absolute values from -0.2 to +0.2 kV/m, the lightning is not fixed in the cloud. At gradient values from -0.2 kV/m and less and at +0.2 kV/m and more, cloud lightning discharges should be expected, at their values from-2kV/m and less and at +2kV / m and more ground lightning. With the increase in the absolute values of the gradient of the potential of the electric field of the atmosphere at the beginning there are discharges of negative polarity, with further growth of the gradient at values greater than (less) +3 kV/m (- 3 kV/m) are fixed along with cloud and negative and positive lightning discharges.|
|Keywords||Thunderstorm; lightning; two-zone method; electric field; lightning sensors network.|
|References||1. Adzhiev A.Kh., Bogachenko E.M. Grozy Severnogo Kavkaza [Thunderstorms of the North Caucasus]. Nal'chik, 2011, 152 p.
2. Inampues J., Aranguren D., Torres H., Montanya J., Santoyo I., Olarte E. and Younes C. Analysis of lightning forecasts in Colombia based on the lightning detection detwork data, X International Symposium on Lightning Protection – X SIPDA, Curitiba, Brasil: SIPDA, 2009.
3. Murphy M.J. Probabilistic early warning of cloud – to – ground lightning at an airport, 16th Conference on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences, Orlando, Florida, 2002.
4. Clements N.C. The warning time for cloud – to – ground lightning in isolated, ordinary thunderstorms over Houston, Texas,” Master study: Texas A&M University, 2007.
5. Adzhiev A.Kh., Tapaskhanov V.O., Stasenko V.N. Sistema grozopelengatsii na Severnom Kavkaze [System of lightning direction finding in the North Caucasus], Meteorologiya i gidrologiya [Meteorology and hydrology], 2013, No. 1, pp. 5-11.
6. Murphy M.J. and Demetriades N. The role of total lightning in thunderstorm nowcasting, Symposium on Planning, Nowcasting and Forecasting in the Urban Zone, Tucson, Arisona, USA: VAISALA Inc, 2005.
7. Lopez J., Perez E., Herrera J., Aranguren D. and Porras L. Thunderstorm warning alarms methodology using electric field mills and lightning location networks in mountainous regions, International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP), Vienna, Austria, 2012.
8. Gashina S.B., Divinskaya B.Sh., Sal'man E.M. Metodika ispol'zovaniya i rezul'taty proverki chislennogo radiolokatsionnogo kriteriya grozoopasnykh oblakov [Methods of use and results of verification of the numerical radar criterion of thunderstorm clouds], Tr. GGO [Proceedings of the Main geophysical Observatory], 1968, Issue 231, pp. 24-29.
9. Alekseeva A.A., Bukharov M.V. Sputnikovyy diagnoz groz po sinkhronnoy informatsii radiometrov mikrovolnovogo i infrakrasnogo diapazonov [Satellite diagnosis of thunderstorms by synchronous information of microwave and infrared radiometers], Meteorologiya i gidrologiya [Meteorology and hydrology], 2005, No. 6, pp. 30-39.
10. EN50536. “Protection against lightning. Thunderstorm warning systems”. European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization, 2010.
11. Nastavlenie po meteorologicheskomu obespecheniyu grazhdanskoy aviatsii (NMOGA-73) [Manual on meteorological support of civil aviation (NMOGA-73)]. Gidrometeoizdat, 1973, 137 p.
12. ACRP Report 8. “Lightning – Warning Systems for Use by Airports”. Airport Cooperative Research Program, Federal Aviation Administration, USA, 2008.
13. Uman M.A., Rakov V.A. The interaction of lightning with airborne vehicles Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 2003, Vol. 39, pp. 61-81.
14. Izmeritel' elektricheskogo polya EFM550. Rukovodstvo pol'zovatelya [Meter EFM550 electric field/ user Guide]. Available at: http://www.vaisala.com.2004.
15. Bazelyan E.M., Rayzer Yu.P. Fizika molnii i molniezashchity [Lightning physics and lightning protection]. Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2001, 320 p.
16. Uman M. Lightning Return Stroke Electric and Magnetic Fields, 1984,1С on Atmospheric Electricity, Albany, New York, June 3-8.
17. Adzhiev A., Kuliev D., Kazakova S., Malkandueva L., Korovin I., Boldyrev A., Schaefer G. Investigating the influence of thunderstorms on atmospheric electric field potential gradient variations, 5th International Conference on Informatics, Electronics and Vision, 2016,
18. Boldyreff A.S., Bespalov D.A., Adzhiev A.Kh. Automated information-analytical system for thunderstorm monitoring and early warning alarms using modern physical sensors and information technologies with elements of artificial intelligence, SPIE Commercial + Scientific Sensing and Imaging, 10218, 2017.
19. Adzhiev A.Kh., Boldyrev A.S., Bolgov Y.V., Wendisch M., Bondareva O.V. Advanced remote sensing of thunderstorm events and atmospheric electric field, Proc. SPIE 10424, Remote Sensing of Clouds and the Atmosphere XXII, 2017. Doi: 10.1117/12.2299290.
20. Aida A. Adzhieva, Vitaliy A. Shapovalov, Anton S. Boldyrev, Dmitry A. Bespalov. Sensing of parameters of lightning discharges on the South of the European part of Russia, Proc. SPIE 10786, Remote Sensing of Clouds and the Atmosphere XXIII, 107860F 2018. Doi: 10.1117/12.2513299.