|Article title||ANALYSIS OF ALGORITHM GOST 28147-89: RESEARCH OF WEAK S-BOXES|
|Authors||L.K. Babenko, E.A. Ischukova|
|Section||SECTION IV. METHODS AND MEANS OF CRYPTOGRAPHY AND STEGANOGRAPHY|
|Month, Year||02, 2014 @en|
|Abstract||This work is devoted to finding the influence of S-Boxes to resistance of GOST 28147-89 algorithm (GOST) against linear cryptanalysis. The universal algorithm for searching particular layouts of S-Boxes, which are vulnerable to linear cryptanalysis is presented. The possibility of building of efficient linear statistical analogs for simplified GOST with weak S-Boxes has been shown. This research is aimed to ensuring that certain arbitrary S-Box layouts are not weak when they are not fixed. Applicability of the presented method was tested by analyzing S-Boxes used in GOST. Application of the designed method made it possible to discover a number of weak S-Boxes, which make the overall cryptographic strength of GOST much lower.|
|Keywords||GOST; S-Box; secret key; linear cryptanalysis; probability.|
|References||1. Matsui M. Linear Cryptanalysis Method for DES Cipher, Advances in Cryptology – EUROCRYPT’93, Springer-Verlag, 1998. – 386 p.
2. Popov V., Kurepkin I., Leontiev S. Additional Cryptographic Algorithms for Use with GOST 28147-89, GOST R 34.10-94, GOST R 34.10-2001, and GOST R 34.11-94 Algorithms. – January 2006. - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4357.
3. Saarien M.-J. A Chosen Key Attack Against the Secret S-boxes of GOST // http://www.m.-js.com – Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.
4. Schneier B. Applied Cryptography, Protocols, Algorithms and Source Code in C (Second Edition). John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1996.
5. Oreku G.S., Li J., Pazynyuk T., Mtenzi F.J. Modified S-box to Archive Accelerated GOST // http://paper.ijcsns.org, International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security. – June 2007. – Vol. 7, № 6.
6. Biham E., Shamir A. Differential Cryptanalysis of DES-like Cryptosystems, Extended Abstract, Crypto'90, Springer-Velgar, 1998. – P. 2.
7. Birukov A., Wagner D. Advanced Slide Attacks // http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu.
8. Babenko L.K., Ishchukova E.A., Maro E.A. Theory and Practice of Cryptography Solutions for Secure Information Sysmems. GOST Encryption Algorithm and Approaches to its Analysis. IGI Global book series Advances in Information Security, Privacy, and Ethics (AISPE) Book Series, USA, 2013. – Р. 34-62.
9. Babenko L.K., Ishchukova E.A., Maro E.A. Research about Strength of GOST 28147-89 Encryption Algorithm. – Proceedings of the 5th international conference on Security of information and networks (SIN 2012). – ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2012. – Р. 138-142.
10. Babenko L.K., Ishchukova E.A. Differential Analysis of GOST Encryption Algorithm. – Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference of Security of Information and Networks (SIN 2010). – ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2010. – P. 149-157.