|Article title||COMPUTATIONAL MODELING OF BIOMIMETIC PROPULSOR FOR UNDERWATER MICRO ROBOTS|
|Section||SECTION I. METHODS AND MEANS OF ECOLOGICAL MONITORING OF WATER AREAS|
|Month, Year||09, 2011 @en|
|Abstract||On the basis of review and analysis of perspectives of application of underwater micro robots, a conclusion is made about the necessity of reasonable modeling of their propulsive characteristics. A problem of modeling of hydrodynamic characteristics of a biomimetic propulsor in the form of an elastic flapping fin, driven by a shape memory alloys is considered. The computations have been carried out with use of a software code SmartFlow developed earlier by the author, enabling computation of a turbulent incompressible flow on the basis of Navier–Stokes equations with use of large eddy simulation method.|
|Keywords||Unmanned underwater vehicle; underwater microrobot; flapping propulsor; shape memory alloy.|
|References||1. Paiva A., Savi M.A. An Overview of Constitutive Models for Shape Memory Alloys // Mathematical Problems in Engineering. – Vol. 2006, Article ID 56876. – P. 1-30.
2. Prempraneerach P., Hover F.S., Triantafyllou M.S. The effect of chordwise flexibility on the thrust and efficiency of a flapping foil // Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Symposium on Unmanned Untethered Submersible Technology, 2003.
3. “Robotic Visions to 2020 and beyond – The Strategic Research Agenda for robotics in Europe, 07/2009” // www.robotics-platform.eu.
4. Rozhdestvensky K.V., Ryzhov V.A. Aerohydrodynamics of flapping wing propulsion // Progress in Aerospace Sciences. – 2003. – Vol. 39. – P. 585-633.
5. Rozhdestvensky K.V., Ryzhov V.A. Flapping-Wing Propulsion // McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology, McGraw-Hill, 2005.
6. Ryzhov V.A., Tarasov S.V. Large eddy simulation of flow аround biomimetic propulsor // Proceedings of International Conference on Subsea Technologies 22-25 June 2009, St-Petersburg: BIMarEST-SMTU, 2009.
7. Zhang D., Low K.H., Xie H., Shen L. Advances and Trends of Bionic Underwater Propulsors // 2009 WRI Global Congress on Intelligent Systems. – 2009. – Vol. 1. – P. 13-19.